To become an orthodontist in Australia you must:
- Complete an AHPRA registered general dental degree.
- Have the equivalent of at least two years clinical experience as a dentist.
- Complete an accredited three year full-time university degree in orthodontics.
- Be registered as a Specialist in Orthodontics.
Orthodontic Courses in Australia are accredited by the Australian Dental Council and reviewed by the ASO. Prospective applicants should obtain information from the relevant institution before applying for admission.
* New Zealand orthodontists are able to register and practice in Australia under mutual recognition. However, not all overseas qualifications are accepted for specialist registration in Australia.
- Overseas orthodontists who wish to find out whether they are qualified to work in Australia should visit the Dental Board of Australia website.
- Australian students studying overseas need to ensure that the overseas course meets the rigorous test standard and will be accepted for specialist registration.